» Our History Since 1978
It all started in 1966, when Laura Bisquertt inherited the “Santa Laura” farm from her father, Osvaldo. He bought it in 1928 and as was accustomed in the region at the time, he cultivated annual crops and had cattle.
Between 1966 and 1971, her husband, Alejandro Hartwig C., Civil Engineer, purchased neighboring lots and ran the estate, exploiting traditional crops and running a dairy farm.
In 1971, he decided to look for work abroad, and that’s how he came to manage the office of the German pharmaceutical company Boehringer Ingelheim, in Montreal, Canada.
He lived in Canada with his family for 10 years, where he became a great wine connoisseur as a result of courses and numerous trips to the United States and Europe. He noticed the growing demand for classic French varieties in North America along with the increase in consumption of New World wines. Taking advantage of this and the excellent climatic conditions of the Colchagua Valley, together with Laura, he began planning what they called their active “Retirement Project”.
They started planting the estate in 1978 with Bordeaux varietals and sold the high quality fruit to large wineries. In 1994 the winery was built and in 1995 the first Laura Hartwig wine was launched, with a Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva that gave a lot to talk about.
Today, it’s Laura and Alejandro’s children who are in charge of this beautiful estate and aim to produce wines with the same principles that their parents instilled in them.